翻译:Woody Guthrie民谣《Gypsy Davy吉普赛戴维》
《Gypsy Davy吉普赛戴维》是由鲍勃迪伦的偶像——民谣歌手Woody Guthrie翻唱并改编的一首英国传统民谣,这首民谣产生于英国,由英国民谣专家 Francis James Child(1825-1896)收集并编录出版,后随英国人传入美国,被美国的民谣歌手所传唱。

这首歌曲的内容是,金屋金房都留不住国王的王妃,因为她要追求自由所以抛弃一切跟随吉普赛戴维去浪迹天涯。Woody Guthrie这首歌创作于于1944年,吉普赛戴维这个形象表达了美国人向往自由,并且为了自由愿意抛弃一切物质财产的价值观。鲍勃迪伦在歌曲《墓碑蓝调》中也引用了吉普赛戴维这个民谣的经典形象。
Woody Guthrie的创作风格,是将传统的民谣进行再创作,来表达当代的人生活状态,以古喻今,这种写作风格也被鲍勃迪伦所传承。民谣虽然是“古代”的歌谣,但是它表达的情感和真理,则是每个时代都相通的,人的本性。
这里我翻译了两个版本的《吉普赛戴维》,第一首是 Woody Guthrie创作的,第二首是原始的英国民谣。可以对比来看,很有意思。


Gypsy Davy《吉普赛戴维》
Woody Guthrie
翻译:邓莹
It was late last night when the boss came home
昨天晚上老板回到家
Askin' for his lady
到处找他的婆娘
The only answer that he got
别人说
"She's gone with the Gypsy Davey
“她跟吉普赛戴维跑了
She's gone with the Gypsy Dave."
她跟吉普赛戴维跑了”
Go saddle for me a buckskin horse
快去给我的鹿皮宝马装上马鞍
And a hundred dollar saddle
他递给我一百美元的马鞍
Point out to me their wagon tracks
指向外面的泥泞车道
And after them I'll travel
去给我追他们
After them I'll ride
去给我赶他们
Well I had not rode to the midnight moon
月亮还没完全升起的时候
When I saw the campfire gleaming
我看见营帐的篝火闪耀
I heard the notes of the big guitar
听见大吉他的旋律
And the voice of the gypsies singing
和吉普赛人正唱着
That song of the Gypsy Dave
吉普赛戴维之歌
There in the light of the camping fire
在篝火中
I saw her fair face beaming
我看见她的美丽的脸蛋被照亮
Her heart in tune with the big guitar
她的心也陶醉在吉他的旋律中
And the voice of the gypsies singing
吉普赛人正唱着
That song of the Gypsy Dave
吉普赛戴维之歌
Have you forsaken your house and home?
你要舍弃你的房子和家吗?
Have you forsaken your baby?
你要舍弃你的孩子吗?
Have you forsaken your husband dear
你要舍弃你的亲爱的丈夫
To go with the Gypsy Davy?
去和吉普赛戴维浪迹天涯吗?
And sing with the Gypsy Davy?
要和吉普赛戴维一起唱
The song of the Gypsy Dave?
吉普赛戴维之歌吗?
Yes I've forsaken my husband dear
是的我舍弃了我亲爱的丈夫
To go with the Gypsy Davy
去和吉普赛戴维浪迹天涯
And I've forsaken my mansion high
我舍弃了我的高楼大厦
But not my blue-eyed baby
但我不想舍弃我蓝眼睛的孩子
Not my blue-eyed baby
不想舍弃我蓝眼睛的孩子
She smiled to leave her husband dear
她和她的丈夫微笑告别
And go with the Gypsy Davy;
和吉普赛戴维走了
But the tears come a-trickling down her cheeks
但是眼泪顺着脸颊留下来
To think of the blue-eyed baby
一想到那个蓝眼睛的孩子
Pretty little blue-eyed baby
可爱的蓝眼睛孩子
Take off, take off your buckskin gloves
脱下你西班牙皮革的
Made of Spanish leather;
鹿皮手套
Give to me your lily-white hair
给我你的白百合发带
And we'll ride home together
我们一起回家
We'll ride home again
我们一起团圆
No, I won't take off my buckskin gloves
不,我不会脱下我的鹿皮手套
They're made of Spanish leather
它们是西班牙皮革
I'll go my way from day to day
我要走我自己的路
And sing with the Gypsy Davy
和吉普赛戴维唱
That song of the Gypsy Davy
吉普赛戴维之歌
That song of the Gypsy Davy
吉普赛戴维之歌
That song of the Gypsy Dave
吉普赛戴维之歌

英国民谣《Gypsy Davey吉普赛戴维之歌》
There was a gypsy came over the land,
有个吉普赛人来到这块土地
He sang so sweet and gaily.
他的歌声悠扬甜蜜
He sang beneath the wild wood tree
他在古树下轻轻吟唱
And charmed the great lord's lady.
歌声飘进了王妃的心房
The lord he did come home
国王回到家里
Enquiring for his lady
问王妃上哪里去了
"She's gone, she's gone," said the serving man,
“她走了,她走了”,管家说
"She's gone with the gypsy Davey."
“他跟那个叫戴维的吉普赛人走了”
"Go saddle me my black mare,
灰马跑得不够快
The grey is ne'er so speedy.
快把我的黑马装上鞍
And I'll ride all night and I'll ride all day
我要马不停蹄
Till I overtake my lady."
直到把我的爱人找回
He rode all by the riverside
他沿着河边的湿草地
On the grass so wet and dewy.
一直骑呀骑
And seated with her gypsy lad
他坐在已是吉普赛人的王妃旁
It's there he spied his lady.
窥探她的心思
"Would you forsake your house and home,
你要舍弃你的房子和家,
Would you forsake your baby?
你要舍弃你的孩子吗?
Would you forsake your own true love
你要抛弃你的真爱
And the promises you gave me?"
和你许下的诺言吗?
"What care I for my house and home
“谁还在意,房子和家
Or even my wee baby?
甚至我的孩子?”
What care I for my own true love
谁还在意我的真爱?
For I love the gypsy Davey."
因为我爱吉普赛戴维"
"Well it's fare thee well my dearest dear,
“那好吧,永别了我最爱的爱人
It's fare thee well forever.
永远不要再见
And if you don't return with me
如果你不跟我走
I swear you'll see me never."
你就再也见不到我。”
And the lord he did go homeward
国王回到家去
And kissed his own wee baby.
吻别了他的孩子
And ere six months had passed away
不到六个月的时间
He'd married another lady.
又娶了一位新妃子
-
破茧成蝶 转发了这篇日记 2021-09-16 18:58:37